Time lost and never found

So today it suddenly occurred to me that only 10 years ago I was still a teenager. And then I thought, if you rephrase that to a decade ago I was a teenager - it sounds bad! I still think of myself as 19/20 years old and it has come as a shock that shortly I will be leaving my 20s behind me. And, scarier for them than for me, my parents will have children all in their 30s by this time next year! How did that happen? I think 5 years just got sucked out the vast window of life. Then the other 5 years went trailing out behind it. I am comforted by a petty kind of thought though: I may have found a sprinkle or two of stubborn silver hair (not gray, no way), but Eric will hit every major milestone before me. In fact, when I hit 30 he'll be on the down slope to 40! I drive him nuts with this little fact.
I was also thinking that I don't much remember what was going on ten years ago. So for all of you that are caught up in the whirlwind of life with me, here is a review of the fascinating year that was 1996:
President Bill Clinton signs legislation that significantly deregulates telecommunications, creating almost limitless opportunities for broadcasters and cable companies. Pressured by the Federal Communications Commission, television broadcasters agree to include three hours a week of educational children's programming into their schedules.
Janet Jackson becomes the highest paid musician in history when she signs an $80-million deal with Virgin Records.
Jazz great Ella Fitzgerald dies.
Broadcasters and television and PC manufacturers agree on a standard for HDTV (high-definition digital television).
Gangsta rapper Tupac Shakur is shot four times in a drive-by shooting. He dies six days later at age 25.
Grammys awarded in 1996
Record of the Year: "Kiss From a Rose," Seal
Album of the Year: Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette (Maverick/Reprise)
Song of the Year: "Kiss From a Rose," Seal, songwriter
U.S. Statistics
President: William J. ClintonVice President: Albert Gore, Jr.
Population: 265,189,794
Approximately 45 million people are using the Internet, with roughly 30 million of those in North America (United States and Canada), 9 million in Europe, and 6 million in Asia/Pacific (Australia, Japan, etc.). 43.2 million (44%) of US households own a personal computer, and 14 million of them are online.
Super Bowl
Dallas d. Pittsburgh (27-17)
World Series
New York Yankees d. Atlanta Braves (4-2)
NBA Championship
Chicago d. Seattle (4-2)
Stanley Cup
Colorado d. Florida (4-0)
NCAA Basketball Championship
Kentucky d. Syracuse (76-67)
NCAA Football Champions
Florida (12-1)
These little factlets and more can be found at http://www.infoplease.com/year/1996.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!