The Halloween Highlights

Halloween this year was just right. We forgot a few things, bought Josh's costume after the original one he wanted was sold out, and never even carved a pumpkin. But it was still just right. Some highlights from tonight:
The crinkle sound of the leaves under our feet on the sidewalk.
The clear starless night sky and a silver half moon.
Joshua, after being urged to say trick or treat louder, yelling trick or treat just like a mafia goon about to break someone's knees.
While waiting at the lighted doorstep of one house, the homeowner drove up behind us and jumped out of her car saying "Oh my Lord, Oh my I can't believe I forgot to turn off my light! Its been on all day! Wait don't leave I have candy AND chips! Oh my Lord, Oh my Lord, you must think I'm all kinds of bad people!" (Without pausing for breath!)
Josh's cold hand gripping mine at the scary house, reminding me his is still my little boy.
Joshua dismantling his costume piece by piece WHILE trick or treating so that his dad ended up holding a sword, leg armor, helmet, and by the end Josh's candy bag between houses.
Sampling the loot "for safety."
While sampling the loot "for safety," finding the following:
assorted candy bars, gummies, lollipops, chips, cracker jacks, not one but TWO packages of candy that included ads for free kung foo lessons, and the best halloween loot ever - one "Kids' Health Matters" magazine.
I will post the pictures of the kid's in their costumes once I find more camera batteries.

Comments

Lacey said…
Sounds wonderful! Isn't it nice that things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful?
Sarah said…
Not only that, but it seems like the less perfect the more wonderful! The best laid plans are only an obstacle to the unexpected.
By the way, I loved reading about your day. Sounds like we are both part of the perfectly imperfect club.

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!