You learn something new every day...if you try

Thanks to llegue, I now know what an EMO is. I didn't even know it was a thing but apparently its the rock 'n roll crowd of the new generation. Its the cool kids...

I admit, I kinda like the emo style - well some of it. According to wikipedia, emo fashion includes tight fitting jeans and band shirts, studded belts. Stuff that I doubt I would have had the guts to pull off when I was a angst ridden teenager. My style now tends to be whats on sale and fits. What I'd really like to wear is a different story - but I lack the money to fund such a wardrobe and the body to carry it off.
So for today, I'll be satisfied with knowing what an emo is, and I won't punish myself for being out of touch since I did notice the trends I just didn't realize they had a name.

Mother's Day was overall nice, good weather and a day spent together. There were ups and downs and Eric in particular had a "oh well this sucks" kinda moment. I must admit that watching someone you love suffer is much worse than suffering yourself. There are a thousand different ways to hurt during the day, if we dwell on the sadness. Its also amazingly easy to forget that mom is gone and to have it come back to you with a bump. Walking through the store I will think "Oh mom would like that" or "I should get that for mom for Christmas", and then there is the moment of "oh, I can't". I still STILL expect to see her open her front door and smile when I pull up. I still expect the phone to ring and her voice to come across the line asking if she can come steal Joshua away for a day or two. I still want to taste her dinners, smell her smell (even if it is peppered by cigarettes), hear her laugh, see her eyes twinkle. I expect these things to be available to me, and they are not. I brought a brass church music box home to live with us. She used to wind it up for Josh when he was little. Its up on top of our kitchen cabinets and now and then a note or two will randomly play. And I miss her all over again. The greater lesson of this day - indeed of these past two weeks (I can't believe its already been 2 weeks and at the same time I can't believe its ONLY been 2 weeks) is that its the small and simple things you remember. The gentle touch, the bubbling laugh, the shaking hands, the Dr Pepper in the fridge for my birthday - its those things I miss most.

Comments

Silly Teacher said…
How are you all doing? My condolences for all of you. I noticed the emo thing also because the Garrett's son in Cedar Crest is very emo.

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!