-Insert Clever Title of Your Choice Here-

So, we're home :)

I considered a recreation of all our adventures including pictures and titles and all kinds of details you never needed to know but I shared anyhow. Instead I'll share some of my favorite pics with short explanations. Because I'm lazy. That's how I roll.

Anyhow, here goes:

Josh, Kadin, and Alex - The Three Amigos
We bought Kadin and Alex cowboy boots as their birthday/Christmas presents for the year. Carly and Josh also got boots...they all wore them pretty much nonstop, even before we left the store where we bought them.


We had a BBQ and fireworks for ChaCha and Alex's birthday. According to Charlotte this birthday had all the best things a birthday can have: fire, fireworks, presents and pumpkin pie.
I loved the fire pit. Loved. It.
Carly also celebrated her birthday while she was in NM. The big T-W-O. She didn't quite understand why we were singing to her, thus the blank look pictured below.

Marion and Kiana (Ben and Angie) got home from Chile just in time for us to spend a short couple days. Marion and Kiana look amazingly grown up. They both liked playing "little mother" to Carly.

No visit to NM and Aunt ChaCha's house is complete without legos and lightsabers. I was particularly amused by Crouching Carly, Hidden Dragon featured below.

Stick 'em up!

Towards the end of the trip I took the boys to Albq to visit Explora, a kids interactive museum. Before heading down town I decided to go to UNM, check out the bookstore, and grab a bite to eat at the Frontier Restaurant. (DELICIOUS!) The abundance of buses going up and down Central, the main drag in Abq, prompted the boys to plead for a bus ride. It was confusing to the max, seeing as I didn't know bus schedules at all, but also quite fun. Below you'll find the boys in the front of one of the buses...only they were pretending it was a space ship. Naturally.

Josh, Carly and I were home for about a week before we left for Northern Michigan. It was my first trip up north, a fact most Michiganders will find shocking and disgraceful. The Mackinac Bridge is the longest bridge over fresh water in the US, and I must say its amazing to see. Driving over it with the sparkling blue water of Lakes Huron and Michigan smacking together underneath you is something special. This picture is from our first trip across the bridge. Notice the blue water and abundant trees. And yes, if you look closely, the golden arches of McDonalds nestled among the trees. It is pretty much dead center in this photo.

We all agreed our favorite part of the trip was the ferry ride to and from Mackinac Island. The spray, the vast blue water, the boats, Mackinac Island taking shape as you speed into the ferry dock. Perfection, there is no other word to describe it. Oh wait, expensive works too! Here's Josh expressing his appreciation for the ride.

We visited two historic forts during our stay in Mackinac City. The first was a recreated Fort Michilimackinac, pictured here. It was very fun and interesting to learn the history of the area.

Here is the back of Fort Mackinac on Mackinac Island. We really enjoyed visiting this Fort because they had many demonstrations and artifacts and the buildings are not rebuilt/recreations. Josh also got to help clean a cannon before they fired a blank.

They had tons of activities for families, particularly kids. Josh and Carly are dressed up in period costumes. The first time we put the dress on Carly, she took one glance in the mirror (its to the right, not pictured) and ripped it off. It took some convincing to get her back in it and sitting for a photo.

We spent 2 days exploring Mackinac Island. On the second day we took the traditional carriage ride around the island. Private cars are not permitted on the island - only five emergency vehicles - and so there are tons of buggies and bikes and horses. Our tour took us past the world famous Grand Hotel, they are sure to mention it was in 2 movies. It is beautiful and it is $12 just to walk onto hotel grounds and look around. Per person. Needless to say, we didn't go close up. However, something free to look at and much more beautiful is Arch Rock, featured below. The water was so blue and clear and from the top the view went on forever.

Using Mackinac City as our jumping off point, we visited some of the sites of the UP, eh. Here we are at Tequaminon Falls. I was a bit disappointed that the falls were so small. This is the lower falls, apparently the upper falls are more impressive. Very pretty, but not what I expected. I also rowed a canoe by myself for the first, and last, time. It was really had work and a lot of frustration. This picture is pre rowing.

We visited White Fish Point and the Michigan Shipwreck Museum, north of the falls. There is a beautiful lighthouse there and the beach is simply amazing. Josh went down and stuck his feet in Lake Superior, but his report that the water was cold was good enough for me.

Here is perhaps one of my favorite sights of Northern Michigan. The sun setting on the water behind the bridge was breathtaking. The picture doesn't do it justice.

We also visited Boyne Mountain Lodge, an indoor water park, on the way back home. Those pictures are on traditional film and as yet undeveloped. Our stay there was over priced but super fun.

All and all its been a busy, crazy, fun summer. I am very glad to be back home, with my own messy house and unmade bed.

Comments

Lacey said…
Sarah, I'm so glad your back blogging! I missed you. The pictures are beautiful, especially the arch. Glad you had a good time!
Jamie Lyn said…
Hey Sarah I was wondering when I was going to see some pictures of my sons.Looks like you guys had a great time. Will you please send my a cd of all the pictures so that way I can put them in my scrapevook. Carly is such a cutie and josh has gotten so big. Your look really good yourself. So was the whole trip? And how is josh doing in school. things are getting better for alex, We got to the sourc right away.
hope to hear from ya soon
xoxo
jamie and bud

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!