Tidbits, not to be confused with giblets:

Some of you may remember that about 5 years ago Joshua cut his own hair. He took a big chunk out of the front of his hair, which I did not notice until Jenn pointed out that the front of his hair looked like a section was missing. Joshua decided to repeat his foray into the realm of hair stylist, except this time he didn't experiment on himself. That's right, he cut Carly's hair. 2 big chunks of hair from her curly black head. When I noticed that her hair seemed a bit...wrong, I asked Josh if he cut he hair. He answered no but with that tiny shake of the head that indicates, ever so clearly, his guilt. He tried to convince us that Carly must have done it. I, however, knew this wasn't true because she hasn't quite mastered holding the scissors and cutting at the same time.

I cooked Thanksgiving dinner, the whole shabang, for the first time ever (with some help from Eric). Normally I just make a side and take it somewhere. The food was much better than I expected. I have mastered turkey, my mashed potatoes where good, the cauliflower and cheese was more flavorful than I even hoped for, and the stuffing got a bit burnt but still tasted amazing somehow. I forgot to make the biscuits and my homemade cranberry relish got poured down the sink because I experimented a bit too much with it. The first half of the day was quiet and a bit emotional for me. I just keep thinking how much I missed both moms. Eric's brother was supposed to come over, but changed his mind, and that made it even more melancholy for me. I went to bed at 8pm, thankful that I made it through the day without a major breakdown.

Joshua got his report card, we were really pleased to see that he got an A- in math, a B in science and social studies, and a C in writing. He also got a C in reading, which surprised us because he's a pretty good reader. Joshua's biggest stumbling block is his ability to organize his thoughts and work. I think that may be why his reading grade was lower. It is very difficult for him to extract facts when presented with a lot of information. It is something like asking you or I to listen to 5 people talking at once, as fast and loud as they can, and then repeat certain facts from each person. I have looked around a bit at ADD coaches, who help people find the skills it takes to organize tasks and facts. But they are all crazy expensive. On the upside, he is amazingly creative. At parent teacher conferences his teacher read me a portion of a story he was working on and it was so imaginative. If we can somehow get those creative juices to flow on to paper, he'll be just fine.

We're currently looking for a new place to live. Our lease is up in February and we'd like to move some place that has 1 level, or at least a bedroom on the first floor for Dad. Although he can go up the stairs, it would make his life much easier not to. Not to mention, I fell down the stairs the other day and have the ugliest bruise on my arm to prove it. We'd also like a 4th bedroom so that Josh can have his own space to be a messy 9 year old in freedom.

And finally, a Christmas tree update....the lights on our Charlie Brown tree burned out at the bottom (its a prelit) and Eric's dad decided it was high time we got a new one. So off we went to Lowe's, where trees were on sale. We went from a 4 foot tree to at 7 foot tree...I feel like a grown up! We've never had a large tree and this one is pretty big. More room for presents. It's still decorated with all our favorite ornaments, just on a larger scale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!