Wow, or is it WoW?

So, once again linking through blogs in the never ending circle of "This is who I read" I came across this little gem of a blog, truly funny stuff. It's always good to come across clean blogs to share, and if they are as funny as this one its even better.

My only wince came when I started to feel defensive over the jab at World of Warcraft...ok, its just a game...I could be watching TV or sewing or baking or reading or 1000 other things but I play WoW mostly in my free time. I like it. I have met some amazingly great people and learned a lot of things about myself (some good some bad). Why do I have to defend my dorkiness? I'm Tamyrn, and proud dangit! I tried to get my brother Ben to play but he didn't really get into it. He only really tried it 1 time and we later figured out that he spent a whole lot of time running in circles since he didn't understand how to read the map...true story. It didn't help he has dialup and playing ties up his phone line. I almost convinced my sister to play too, until she witnessed a bear attack and subsequent retaliation on my part...ok maybe it was the other 'way round but its just a virtual bear that will respawn right as rain in about 3 minutes. No harm done. My mom was also interested in playing but had a hard time keeping up with the in game chat. Sadly, she's also a victim of the dreaded dialup. I've considered inviting my brother Bud and his wife to try it out too...but 3 strikes so far isn't much of a track record. One reason I'd like my family to play...they'd get to talk to/with me a lot more. I play often and they could too - practically half phone call, half sport.


One thing about WoW that I haven't decided is good or bad - Eric says I am more 'charismatic' online. I think this is because I am more comfortable not having to look someone in the eye. I am less shy, less apprehensive about how I look, more able to think things out because of the chat delay, more confident. I can understand the appeal of the role playing universe a la 2nd life. Behind an animated image, you are more free to be just you and more safe when you're not perfect. Sure there are flaming idiots in WoW, just like non virtual life, but for the most part the good people are drawn to the good. There is a surprisingly strong LDS presence in WoW, its influence strong enough to regulate the rules of my guild without causing complaint from non-LDS members. People like that its clean and safe for their kids, people like the freedom that comes with that safety. Its not uncommon to see the members of the guild I somehow got elected to lead talking about General Conferance or the new Apostle or the talk they have to give in sacrament. Even more common is talking about our kids, our lives, our accomplishments and goals.


Anyhow, I feel as I have sufficiently defended my honor...but just for kicks here is a peek at my myspace page that I set up for WoW and my main character (Tamyrn) in WoW, in case you wondered. If you read the beginning of my story type thing, Tamyrn in WoW is based on Tamyrn in the story (Tamyrn in the story did actually come first).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!