Double post day

Oh the joys of a new neighborhood.
Well, most people would be happy about it. Don't get me wrong, I am gleefully finding things to stick in empty cupboards and choosing paint colors and curtain colors and thinking about possible furniture. But....
My neighborhood is very friendly. Like, super we've-met-a-new-person-every-day friendly. This is a bad thing. Perhaps, perchance you don't know I am very shy and nothing terrifies me more than being thrust into situations where there will be a lot of new people - except maybe the dentist.
Today we forced Joshua to go outside and play (yes, I said force). We banned him from TV and computer games and said "go play in the park or something dangit!" or something like that. So he chose the front porch. If he could figure out a way to do it, I think he would keep a body part inside while playing outside. This was really irritating Eric, he was all like "so why did we move to a place with a yard? and a park out its back door?" I didn't remind him that we moved to the house more for its bedrooms than its yard, I didn't think it was the right time. (Is now the right time, honey?) Then I was all like "well he is like me, he likes to stay inside the house more. He's a homebody, and you did marry me so it can't be all that bad." E-daddy wasn't convinced.
Some kids from across the street pounced on us once they realized we were sitting outside for more than five minutes and I made the mistake of staying out there with my children. They were so cute out there coloring with chalk and playing with legos and breathing fresh air. Curse their cuteness, curse it! Fortunately, it was only the children that came over to play and they are slightly less intimidating than adults, I can boss them around.
The kids are really nice and they had great manners which is a double score in my book. We'll call them N - that's the boy, he's 10 and will be in 5th grade with Josh; and M - that's the girl and she's 8 and seriously just as tall as Josh and his new friend N; I think she could beat them both up at the same time. But I digress. They both sat down on the porch and played with Carly and Josh, which I thought was great especially since they weren't talking to me that much. I got out a notebook and starting fiddling. (Last night I had a great little spurt of ideas and I thought to myself "hey, why not see if we can keep that going". Foolish, foolish Sarah.) It was all great and very suburbia until Carly happens to see the scar on M's side and asks oh-so-innocently "What's that?"
Then M goes on to explain, TO ME, in non-stop chatter all about how she had appendicitis and she had to have her appendix out. Did I mention non-stop chatter. No seriously, non stop chatter. (I can hear you laughing at the irony, Dad.) And, she was puking into buckets. And there was one bucket that was like a cup but bigger for her to puke in. (Hey if I had to hear about it, so do you oh foolish reader!) And the hospital bed had a switch on it that went up and down and controlled the TV but she only watched that for like, 2 seconds. Oh, there were colors and re-enactments. At one point her brother, N, said "I don't think you should be talking about this, its kind of gross." And I said to M "Yes, its really gross" and do you know what she did? She nodded and said "Yeah, its pretty gross" and then she KEPT GOING! She didn't even miss a beat in the story line.
I was never so thankful to have Carly ask me if she could go wash her hands. I jumped up very happily and took her in, washed her hands, and sent her back out into the chatter pit, mercilessly. I stayed inside to do laundry. Yes, people, it was so bad that I actually CHOSE to do laundry!
Phew, now that I have that off my chest I just wanted to point out that I sprinkled "like"s all through my little diatribe to keep with the flow of my earlier post. Cause that's how I roll, like, you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

Possibly a treat, but maybe a fork in the eye