Birthday parties, new houses, and favorite things

So today we had Josh and Carly's combined birthday party. It looked like we were going to cancel it 2 days ago but then 2 of the 8 people invited called and said they could make it, after all. So, Eric took Josh and 2 friends to see Star Wars while Carly and I went shopping. On the agenda for the girl's day out: pierced ears for the D.I.V.A. She actually handled it very well, flinching and protesting when the first one went in and crying with the second. For precisely 15 seconds. Once I pointed out the new bling in the mirror she was all smiles and primping.

Pierced ears!

We also bought a tutu, some cute new leggings, a sweater and pants and a new purse. Oh yes, and a scrumptious new purple hat - she's not wearing it in that picture, I do know what color purple is people (I know you thought I was crazy or colorblind for a minute). I promise the shopping trip was for her too and she had as much fun as I did.

When Josh got home from the movies there was a water balloon fight in the back yard (copious amounts of hosing down Eric included) that I only watched and then some cake that tasted like 5 pounds on my hips, easy.

Photobucket

Eric got him picking his nose! HAHA!

He's picking his nose!


D.I.V.A. eats cake

During the back yard battle, our new furniture for the living room was delivered. That's right, no longer must we all battle for supremacy in the family room! I love my new formal living room, I have never in my grown-up life had space to put things and places for company to sit when they come over. *Happy sigh.* It still needs a side table or 2, some lamps, some artwork and some curtains but I'm pretty thrilled its not empty anymore. Just one more room to find furniture for and we're good to go! It's almost like we live here!

New furniture

Speaking of living here, we asked our friend to bring the camera that we gave him over for the birthday festivities. I stole it so I could snap some quick pictures of the house. You can find the complete photo album of the house and party here. For those of you that don't care to surf away, here are the basics.

The car on the right belongs to Ray, the white Escape is Eric's car. My car is in the garage:

Front view of the house

This is the view from the kitchen window. Seriously, how lucky are we?

View from the kitchen window

The family room (Ray on the laptop)

Ray in the family room

And lastly, a new thing I'd like to introduce to the blog: Favorite things. I am going to try to post 1 time a week a few of my favorite things. They might be happenings, products, movies, music, whatever. I am not doing this because I think I'm going to start some kind of social trend. Let's face it, I'm not that cool. Rather, I think that highlighting a few things I am thinking about during any given week might give you a hint as to what I'm really like.

Scary huh?

This week's favorites are inspired by the house. Here are a few of my favorite things that live in the house, other than people.

Mom's Christmas dishes, they have their own home now. (This isn't all the Christmas china, I have 2 more buckets full of glasses and such but the cabinet wasn't big enough)

Photobucket

My stamps have a place to live that isn't a box!

My stamps! Hooray!

This is a table I found at an estate sale. The price was $70 and I could only talk them down to $50 but I would have paid $70. It is my absolute favorite piece of furniture in the house. It is a game table and 1 leg on each side pulls out to support the table leaves. LOVE IT. The lamp came from Josh's room at Eric's mom's house. The pottery comes from, where else, New Mexico. The small green one was a gift from Cha-Cha, QofL, when we went exploring in Madrid.

My estate sale table

Eric's mom gave us this china cabinet when we moved into our first house. We didn't have room for it until we moved to this house. That's right, my friends, I have been waiting 10 years to put this in my house. It has a mixture of my collectibles, some were presents, some were passed down from family.

Photobucket

The family room fireplace and mantle. I recently acquired the sand painting in the center, it was my grandmothers. The pottery is our collection, it was all either gifts or purchased on our vacations. The small sand painting on the right was a Christmas gift. The glass, clear candlesticks were a wedding present and the amber colored candlesticks were Eric's moms. The glass inside the fireplace needs to be fixed/removed and the fireplace needs cleaned out. We can't wait for cool fall days to arrive so we can light it up!

Photobucket

Comments

Heather said…
Party looks like fun. It was fun to go on a tour of your house. Maybe I should steal that from ya... see you are starting a social trend!
Silly Teacher said…
great house! Love it!

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!