Four for Friday, Vol. 2

First, a correction: Last week I listed the Just for Me hair relaxer as a product I purchased but that was false. Michelle, goddess of all things related to Carly's hair, actually bought it and applied it.
Now that we cleared that up, this week's 4fer.

Four things about a new school year that are both good and bad:

1. Waking up early - I hate waking up early, so does Joshua. Dragging Josh out of bed during the school year is basically like trying to move a large boulder up hill. At the end you are sweaty and mad and you just want to sit down. On the up side, Carly and I can now take a mid morning nap without the sound of Joshua's elephantine pitter-patter.

2. Shopping for new school clothes and supplies - I take particular joy in school supply shopping. Growing up, my parents were raising 4 kids on a small budget. Sometimes my dad was in school himself, sometimes we had just moved, most of the time it was just a matter of making do with what we had. I understand now the struggles my parents had and I appreciate very much the sacrifices they made to give us the things we did have. But at the time I was young and selfish; I was bugged that I didn't have a whole closet full of new stuff to start school with. We have our own budget worries but every year come school time I still go out and buy all new folders, crayons, markers and the like and some new clothes for Josh. Whats the bad part of this? I realize that being so materialistic isn't something to be proud of. However, I still can't help smiling when he zips up his bag full of new stuff, ties his new shoes, and walks out the door on the first day.

3. Joshua is starting fifth grade - When did I get old enough for Josh to be in 5th grade? I'm really happy he is growing up but...he's my baby.

4. School lunches - Joshua doesn't eat lunch if we pack it for him, he probably doesn't eat lunch at school either but at least I know he didn't forget to take it along AND I don't have to try and figure out what's to his liking. The down side: school lunches in Michigan are $2.25 a day. That's right, $2.25 for a lunch he will probably throw in the trash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!