Skip to main content

Let's see you shine

I didn't vote for Barack Obama. And I didn't vote for John McCain.

It's now 11 pm (east coast time) and they are declaring Obama the winner of the Presidential election.

While our house was filled with election day excitement - Josh, euphoric as he colored states red and blue; Carly telling us all to settle down and stop yelling; Eric and his dad (and me) debating taxes and democrats and early poll results - the thought I have now is: let's see what you do.

We're placing a great trust with this young, somewhat untested Senator. I hope he does not violate it. He has a gift for mobilizing passion, we've seen that. He has a gift for inspiring confidence, we've seen that. Now, hopefully, he parlays those gifts into an upturn for our great country.

I will admit that a secret, small part of me was rooting for Obama even if he didn't get my vote. I can not help but look at my daughter, the little DIVA that chants "Rockobama" when he's mentioned on TV, and think that for her this is an empowering moment. I can not help but appreciate another barrier of race falling away. I can not help but think that this historical night means something special for my daughter - even if she doesn't know it.

I hope, with all my heart, we can leave the behind the times that allow us to call a President stupid. I hope that we can stop pointing all the blame at a solitary person for the ills that befall us. I hope, with all my heart, that respect is restored to our most visible public office. I hope that the American people can get back to being friends and countrymen.

And I'm so glad I won't be seeing anymore political ads on TV.

Comments

Pam said…
Thank you for your post! I believe that anyone who can bring so many people out to vote is worth calling a leader. I, like you, agree with the , lets see!
Yeah for tomorrow and no more ridiculous ads. See you Thursday! You better come!
Pam
*MARY* said…
I couldn't agree more, I hate all the President bashing that's been the norm for the past eight years. In some countries you would go to jail for saying bad stuff about the president.

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Carly,

I assume that one day you will come to me wanting to know who you are, where you came from, where your other family is and why they gave you to us.  I offer you little bits of information already, but certainly not crumbs enough to satisfy the appetite.  Perhaps it won't matter to you.  I am assuming a lot, already, about how adoption will impact your life.

People often wonder why adoptive parents are hurt when their children seek out biological roots.  I have the answer, and it's very simple.  Adoption - at its core - makes us question the legality, authority, voracity, and validity of parenthood.  For most adoptive parents, first you must come to terms with an issue that strikes at the foundations of mortality: fertility.  From birth, most of us are driven to form families.  First we are nestlings, nurtured and weened and eventually taught to fly.  Then we are nest-builders, filling our lives with the stuff necessary to drive life forward.  Knowledge, safety, money, a sturdy …

On being away from home and turning sixteen: a letter to my son

Dear Josh,

I missed your sixteenth birthday.  I'm sure you recall - or maybe it wasn't so bad because you spent the whole day with your friend watching movies.  Godzilla and Guardians of the Galaxy, you've said.  It's no surprise to me that Godzilla was your favorite of the two.  That atomic green monster holds a special place in your heart.

It was very difficult for me to be away from you when you crossed this threshold in your life.  I remember turning sixteen, being sixteen, and wondering when I would feel like I was actually sixteen.  When I was sixteen, I went and found my first job, I started driving myself around, and I pretty much felt like I was in the wrong skin.  I'm only now, at 37, beginning to feel in the right skin.  Or at least comfortable with the skin I'm in.  But you - well, you don't seem to have a problem being you.  I can't explain how very happy that makes me feel, how very reassured.  Because it can be really hard not to like you…

Dear Carly (on your 9th birthday),

I can't remember what it is like to turn nine years old.  From watching you turn nine, it must have been difficult because it seems like everything is either really, really greator really, really bad.  Some days I think I might get whiplash from the mood swings (and you're not a teenager yet!).   But overall, I think nine must also be really wonderful.  You seem to be full of joy, even moments after being full of woe.  It's as if the joy just pushes the other stuff out.  It practically oozes from your pores.  More than that, on the days you choose to be happy, the whole world sings with you.  People are infected by it, drawn in to your sweet smile and shining eyes.  Attracted like bugs to a light.  You shine, dear little diva, so brightly sometimes it's blinding.

We just spent three weeks together in California, and I must have complained too much about your behavior because your dad believes we are oil and water right now.  I'd prefer to see us as oil and vinegar …