Let's see you shine

I didn't vote for Barack Obama. And I didn't vote for John McCain.

It's now 11 pm (east coast time) and they are declaring Obama the winner of the Presidential election.

While our house was filled with election day excitement - Josh, euphoric as he colored states red and blue; Carly telling us all to settle down and stop yelling; Eric and his dad (and me) debating taxes and democrats and early poll results - the thought I have now is: let's see what you do.

We're placing a great trust with this young, somewhat untested Senator. I hope he does not violate it. He has a gift for mobilizing passion, we've seen that. He has a gift for inspiring confidence, we've seen that. Now, hopefully, he parlays those gifts into an upturn for our great country.

I will admit that a secret, small part of me was rooting for Obama even if he didn't get my vote. I can not help but look at my daughter, the little DIVA that chants "Rockobama" when he's mentioned on TV, and think that for her this is an empowering moment. I can not help but appreciate another barrier of race falling away. I can not help but think that this historical night means something special for my daughter - even if she doesn't know it.

I hope, with all my heart, we can leave the behind the times that allow us to call a President stupid. I hope that we can stop pointing all the blame at a solitary person for the ills that befall us. I hope, with all my heart, that respect is restored to our most visible public office. I hope that the American people can get back to being friends and countrymen.

And I'm so glad I won't be seeing anymore political ads on TV.

Comments

Pam said…
Thank you for your post! I believe that anyone who can bring so many people out to vote is worth calling a leader. I, like you, agree with the , lets see!
Yeah for tomorrow and no more ridiculous ads. See you Thursday! You better come!
Pam
*MARY* said…
I couldn't agree more, I hate all the President bashing that's been the norm for the past eight years. In some countries you would go to jail for saying bad stuff about the president.

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!