Little Testimonies

Once a month at church we have a meeting called Fast and Testimony Meeting. After taking the sacrament, members of the congregation are invited to share their testimony of gospel truths from the pulpit. The first testimony yesterday was about 'little testimonies'. Little testimonies are those times when the Lord works for us in small ways, like finding lost items or prompting us in other every day kind of ways.

Tithing has always been a hard spot for our family. It's not that we don't want to give back 10% to the Lord, it's just that we always seem to be in need of every dime. We've been blessed with a great job for Eric and pay raises over the years, but we've also increased our spending (foolish mortals). Now with the price of everything on the rise, the gap between necessary costs and frivolous purchases is shrinking even more. It can be a struggle to write that check when you know that you've got X amount of dollars to last the week and you need gas, milk, school field trip money, etc etc etc.

But yesterday Eric wrote that tithing check.

I've been waiting to buy Carly a winter jacket. Good coats are so expensive and she is growing so quickly that we'll only get a few months of wear out of it. We went to New Mexico without one, hoping that while we were there the weather would hold and her fall jacket would be sufficient. New Mexico graced us with blue skies and temps around 60. Once we got back home, though, hello 20s.

Cute Pam and I went visiting teaching this morning. Our first stop was Amy's house. Amy's house is always just beautiful to look at and so comfortable, a perfect mix of style and coziness. Amy has 3 kids and one on the way; her lone girl is a year older than Carly. She asked if Carly has been playing out in the snow (we got a nice snowfall on Saturday) and I said no because I didn't want to pay for a winter coat yet (I've been hoping for a good sale). She popped right up and said "Let me see if I have Sabrina's old jackets". Down the basement stairs she went and came back up with boots, a jacket and snow pants. AND a jacket for Josh.

We didn't pray for a coat. But Heavenly Father knew and worked through Amy to provide for our needs.

My faith is often shakey, my mind is often questioning but the Lord never gives up on me or forgets me.

D&C 84:81-85
Therefore, take ye no thought for the morrow, for what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, or wherewithal ye shall be clothed.
For, consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin; and the kingdoms of the world, in all their glory, are not arrayed like one of these.
For your Father, who is in heaven, knoweth that you have need of all these things.
Therefore, let the morrow take thought for the things of itself.
...treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.
There's a little testimony for you.

Comments

Pam said…
I have a some sturdy winter jackets if you need one for Carley
That Girl said…
Amen and amen.

Thanks, Sarah.

*I* know that *HE* knows how amazing you really are.
Randi said…
This story gives me good chills.
Of course I know about tithing, and that I am always blessed more than I ask when I follow the law.
But what I love about your story is that you didn't even ASK for a coat.
Heavenly Father does know what we're going through, doesn't he?

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!