Status Quo

The report from the hospital is good, a steady day without any real peaks or valleys. Given the state of affairs when Dad first went in, we're feeling pretty good about that. He spent the day resting and getting things tested. I'm not quite sure how those two things go together but hey, I'm no medical doctor type.

In other news, Josh had his first orchestra concert tonight. It was much better than we expected (a bunch of 5th graders playing instruments for the first time in their lives? Yeah, you get me). Joshua was nervous and excited but had a great time. After every number they would bow and Josh would blow kisses to the audience. He said he did it because 'that's what famous people do'. He was dead center of the pack so we didn't get many shots of him actually playing. Mostly shots of his partially obstructed head. I did record the show and once I figure out how to convert from camera movies to wmv type files I will throw it onto the interweb for consumption.

After the concert we let Josh pick a place to go and eat dinner. He initially chose Red Robin but owing to our recent visit there this weekend (courtesy of Poppa), we made him pick again. We're mean parents like that. He chose Ram's Horn, a little mom-n-pop type chain along the lines of Denny's (for you left coast people). He used to go there frequently with his Grandma Annie and so it holds special significance in his little life. Once he made his final selection we made sure to tease him about all the places he didn't pick. Like Chuck-e-Cheese. He loved it. Right up there with root canals.

I thought I would provide some snippets from our dinner conversation. I wrote them on the back of a menu in blue crayon just for you. Here are some fairly typical things you might over hear if you sat near the T family at dinner.

Josh: It's just an octopus. Pay no attention to it's mind control device.

Carly: I'm drinking coffee daddy! (whilst drinking little creamers)

Daddy: You've got to explain it and it has to be logical.
Josh: Whaddaya mean?

Josh: Hey, Cha-Cha technology is mine!

Carly: I'm not gonna squirt it out. I'm gonna squirt it on my tongue.

You might be wondering where the mind controlled octopus and Cha-Cha technology are coming from. Or not, either way I'm going to tell you. A few years ago, when Josh was about 5 or so, we came up with a dinner-out game. Most places we eat provide paper menus that are blank on the back (high style, I'm telling you) and so we flip the menu over and commence "Battle Boats". Each player takes a turn drawing a boat of some kind. Submarine, sail boat, tug boat, starship, satellite - anything and everything that floats. It can be above water or below. Here's where it gets fun. On your boat you have to be sure and include guns, the stealthier and less gun like the better (the better to surprise your opponent with {cackle}). Once you've drawn your creation you must pass the paper to the other player and they draw their boat and guns. When you are satisfied with the initial boat drawing, you take turns blowing each other up. You can fire cannons, send laser beams from space, or do whatever you decide to blow up the other person and/or their boats and other accoutrements. This involves lots of drawing crayon missile lines and explosions and general scribbling all over each other's drawing. There is no winner and loser, you just play til you're both wrecked or dinner arrives, whichever comes first.

Every now and then we do stumble into restaurants that have stuff drawn on both sides of their menu. This is a real downer. I carried blank paper in my purse for a while, just in case, but stopped doing it. Because I'm lazy. Plus, when you do come across the menu with a blank back side it's like finding treasure. And, I know this sounds like a boy game but it's really not. The possibilities are limitless. A generic boat being blown up by a unicorn is clearly in my future. I'm sure other people play this game too, in various ways, but mine is clearly the coolest. I reserve all rights to it. You can use it if you want to, but you have to send me a dollar every time you do.

Or not, just don't go selling it and making yourself rich without my consent. I think that's fair.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I want to know what extreme destructive power the cha-cha technology had tonight. We have to get our next invention ideas somewhere!
AMS said…
how fun! what a great way to entertain the kidddos while they quietly, politely, patiently wait (as all kids do) for their food! what does Josh play?
Sarah said…
Josh plays the violin. He really liked it at first and has kind of lost interest but we are making him see it through to the end of the year. I think he could be really good at it if he would make it important to himself.
The Cha-Cha technology is top secret "anonymous"! Just kidding dear sister. It had something to do with fishes and rocks and explosions...You'll have to get details from Josh. I'll have him email you.

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!