Look what I forgot

My sister, aforementioned, asked me a long time ago what my enchilada recipe was. And I keep forgetting to give it to her. Because I'm good like that.

So here it is:

1 lb ish of ground beef
chopped onion - one small or half a large, optional for all you onion haters
salt and pepper
taco seasoning - to taste
1 package of grated cheddar cheese (I'm sure you can use one of those Mexican mixes but I prefer plain ol' sharp cheddar)
1/4 c butter or margarine
3 tbs flour
2 cups of milk
1 small can of chopped green chiles - I'm sure you could substitute for a fresh roasted green chile, without seeds, if you can get one.
oil, olive or canola are fine just whatever you have on hand
1 package of corn tortillas (12-15) - I try to find tortillas that aren't too thick, they are just easier to work with, but it doesn't really matter as long as they are corn and not flour

Brown the meat and onion together, add taco seasoning to taste, salt and pepper. The meat doesn't need to be strongly flavored. Set aside (I just leave it in the frying pan).

Now you need to soften your tortillas. I have found that using a shallow, small frying pan works best for this rather than a large pot. You waste a lot less oil and it's easier to control the temp. Submerge the corn tortillas in the oil - typically I put them in just so that they bubble for a second, flip it over and let it bubble, take it out. If your oil is hot enough (med-high heat) then they should be in the oil for maybe 10-15 seconds. If you take them out too soon the tortillas will be too hard and dry. If you leave them in too long they will harden like a taco shell. Soften all the tortillas, just pile them up on top of each other on a paper towel lined plate.

Next, fill the tortillas. I put a scoop of meat, a little grated cheese then roll it up. I pack them as close together as I can. I usually fill 2 casserole dishes, give or take. Any extra meat I just sprinkle over the top of the rolled tortillas.

Sauce:

You start with a basic white sauce recipe -
Melt the margarine on medium heat then add flour and salt. Stir until bubbly and add milk. This happens very fast and you want to add the milk before the flour and butter get too brown. Once the milk is in, stir until smooth and slightly thick. This takes about 5 minutes and you want to stay with your sauce or it will burn and get gross. Keep stirring it and just wait. Add the green chiles and remove from heat (sometimes I add them earlier to let the flavor soak in but don't do it until the milk at least starts to thicken). You can add more cheese to the sauce if you want to also. Pour the sauce over the rolled enchiladas and top with grated cheese. (My arteries are clogging just thinking about it but it's so worth it!) Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.

Top these with sour cream, lettuce, tomato, even salsa or just eat them plain. This recipe should be mild enough for non-spicy lovers but you can always spice it up or add other ingredients to suit your taste. I think corn would taste great mixed in, but I haven't actually tried it yet.

If you're not going Asian, you should definitely go Mexican!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome!! You remembered before somebody could tickle you about it :) You're the greatest in addition to being the baby, and mommy person/provider of grandchildren/niece/nephew, firepit queen, and all round cool person!
That sounds SO good! I really want to make it!! However, I first have to find corn tortillas.....yep, I can't find corn tortillas here in Canada yet! I might have to make my own....ugh! Oh well!! I will prevail!!
So, I made this last night when the missionaries came over.....they had two helpings of the same size.....huge!! I am glad I made a double batch!! It was a long process since I had to make the corn tortillas from scratch, but SO worth it! It was very yummy!! Thank you for sharing!!

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!