Roman Holiday

Last year we had our first ever "Back to School Feast." The idea came from this post by Nie over at NieNie Dialogues. Our theme last year, which I did take pictures of but did not come out (that's another story), included a table loaded down with 'treasure' (fake jewels and necklaces from Party City and Josh's treasure box), fancy china bowls and candy dishes filled up with mini fruits and other sweets, fresh baked rolls, a roast (because Josh had to be castle appropriate), drinks from Grandma Annie's red glasses (typically set aside for Christmas but the most gobletish cups I had at the time), plastic crowns, fancy gold place mats, napkins and napkin rings (purchased on clearance) and gold paper plates.

This year we are repeating the tradition but with a Roman theme. Why Roman? Josh is currently obsessed with all things Mythology (and he hasn't even read the Percy Jackson books despite my encouragement) and has spent basically the whole summer with his nose buried in a Mythology book. He can spew facts on demand. Or even when you don't demand and would really like him to just-please-talk-about-something-else-for-the-love!

Anyhow, we are combining the Back to School Feast with a joint birthday party for Josh and Carly. And while I haven't figured out just how I'm going to produce a Coliseum cake (read won't produce), I did indulge in a little labor of love this afternoon for my two offspring and their assorted family who will hopefully be able to attend: laurel crowns.

Now, my search of crafts on the interweb were pretty much fruitless. The best directions I could find for making a laurel crown were sans pictures or consisted of a construction paper band with large leaves stapled on. So, hoping to spare you from your own disappointment when you decide to throw your own Roman themed party {snicker}, here are my instructions for crepe paper laurel crowns WITH pictures.











It was about $5 for all my supplies, including paper for party invitations. (I'll show you those later, they aren't done) and I have lots of crepe paper left. I'm sure someone more resourceful would turn that into a crazy cool craft, but I'm just going to throw it in the craft closet. Keeping this craft cheap frugal was important to me since I know that the little darlings will all destroy their laurel crowns within an hour of their coronations.

All told, it took me longer to edit and upload the pictures than to make the laurel crowns...about 45 minutes to make 15.

Comments

Pam said…
What a great idea! I am going to borrow it, so thanks for sharing. I miss ya, especially this week when I was thinking about calling "our" ladies we visit teach to make appointments. :( Love ya lots
Sarah said…
I miss you too, it was so great to talk to you the other day. I've never had such an easy friendship with someone and I doubt I'll ever find it again!
Jamie Lyn said…
THOSE ARE WAY CUTE!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!