The Sturdy Kind that Doesn't Mind

I woke up really early this morning.  Not because Santa dropped down my chimney a little early.  Oh no.  Rather, my daughter was making merry all through the house.  First, she visited my bed. 

"I can't see where I'm going," she said.

And then she stumbled under the covers and started to complain about her knee.  It hurt. 

"Please rub it Mommy."

And so I did. 

I rolled over and went back to sleep.  For a moment. 

And then she was awake again.  The sun was streaming gray through the window, a sure sign of a very early day.  But she was up now and she bounced out my door, slamming it behind her. 

One cat was locked in, one locked out.  And the locked out cat began to cry.  So I had to get up and free his brother.

Door ajar, the voices drift in as the room turns buttery yellow. 

"Why are you bugging me?" says Daddy.  "What do you want to do, watch a movie?"

"Yes," she replies. 

Voices and movies and video games and cats. 

It's not long before the dog joins in too.  She needs to go out.

I wanted to sleep in, but now my eyes are awake and won't close.

It's Christmas Eve morning.

Comments

Misty said…
Will we ever miss it? Yes, I think so.

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!