Skip to main content

Promptly

Something new and extremely rough for today's post.  I used a writing prompt ("write about a day moon") to get me going, the whole point being to get something - anything really - on the page. 

---

The moon refused to set.  It hung there in the sky like some bulbous seed, full of life and waiting for just the right weather to sprout.  Tam watched it doubtfully, warily, waiting for some other sign to come along and wipe away the heavy meaning of a day moon.  But everything was quiet.  Still.  Poised.  Even the river, some hundred leagues away, seemed to rush quietly in its banks.  It avoided the rocks and normal pitfalls of its course, thrumming instead of crashing against the shore. 

They saw hardly any game and so had to wait until late for lunch, finally settling down to eat when the sun was already halfway to setting.  Tam’s stomach rumbled uncomfortably, a protest of nerves and a long day walking with only hard Satyr rolls from last night’s leftovers.  When Vardos finally speared a rabbit, it was only a scrawny, half-lame juvenile with a patch of gray fur missing over its eye.  Sibelius shuddered away and rolled his eyes in distaste, refusing to even sample the stringy meat that mostly dripped off into the fire.  Vardos sucked on a bone and offered the meatiest portion to Tamyrn, but she had a hard time eating it after Sibelius’ refusal. 

By the time night began to drop its dusky cloak over the trees, the moon shone luminous and bright as any winter sun.  Sibelius eyed it nervously and decided to take first watch after camp was set.  Tamyrn lay next to the fire, fitful and unable to sleep despite a heavy weariness that seemed to radiate through her bones.  Every rock seemed to push its way through her thin bedroll.

After a while, she sat up to watch Vardos whittle while he sat near the blue flames of the fire.  The moon hung over his shoulder, only slivers of bright silver threading through the trees.

“How much farther to the pass?” Tamyrn asked, more to break the uneasy silence than in hopes of any real answer.

Vardos shrugged and let his gaze drift lazily around the perimeter of the camp before answering.

“Maybe two days, three, if all goes right.  The day moon has us spooked and we moved slowly today.  We should make up some time tomorrow.”

“My father used to say that a day moon bodes ill news,” she said, poking at the coals with a long, slim twig.

“A common saying.  I’m not sure I’ve ever had any proof to back it up.”  Vardos smiled at her through the shadows and tossed his whittled stick into the flames.

“What were you making?”

“Nothing, just passing time until Sib comes back.”

“Do you suppose…” She let her words trail away into the dark.

“What?”

“Nothing, it’s not  – “

But the crashing sound of someone or something running through the undergrowth, very fast, cut her off short.  Vardos stood, drawing his sword and stepping over in front of Tam. 
 
Then three things happened all at once: Sib burst free of the undergrowth, the cloud moved in front of the moon, and Tamyrn’s amulet began to burn the skin at her neck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Carly,

I assume that one day you will come to me wanting to know who you are, where you came from, where your other family is and why they gave you to us.  I offer you little bits of information already, but certainly not crumbs enough to satisfy the appetite.  Perhaps it won't matter to you.  I am assuming a lot, already, about how adoption will impact your life.

People often wonder why adoptive parents are hurt when their children seek out biological roots.  I have the answer, and it's very simple.  Adoption - at its core - makes us question the legality, authority, voracity, and validity of parenthood.  For most adoptive parents, first you must come to terms with an issue that strikes at the foundations of mortality: fertility.  From birth, most of us are driven to form families.  First we are nestlings, nurtured and weened and eventually taught to fly.  Then we are nest-builders, filling our lives with the stuff necessary to drive life forward.  Knowledge, safety, money, a sturdy …

On being away from home and turning sixteen: a letter to my son

Dear Josh,

I missed your sixteenth birthday.  I'm sure you recall - or maybe it wasn't so bad because you spent the whole day with your friend watching movies.  Godzilla and Guardians of the Galaxy, you've said.  It's no surprise to me that Godzilla was your favorite of the two.  That atomic green monster holds a special place in your heart.

It was very difficult for me to be away from you when you crossed this threshold in your life.  I remember turning sixteen, being sixteen, and wondering when I would feel like I was actually sixteen.  When I was sixteen, I went and found my first job, I started driving myself around, and I pretty much felt like I was in the wrong skin.  I'm only now, at 37, beginning to feel in the right skin.  Or at least comfortable with the skin I'm in.  But you - well, you don't seem to have a problem being you.  I can't explain how very happy that makes me feel, how very reassured.  Because it can be really hard not to like you…

Dear Carly (on your 9th birthday),

I can't remember what it is like to turn nine years old.  From watching you turn nine, it must have been difficult because it seems like everything is either really, really greator really, really bad.  Some days I think I might get whiplash from the mood swings (and you're not a teenager yet!).   But overall, I think nine must also be really wonderful.  You seem to be full of joy, even moments after being full of woe.  It's as if the joy just pushes the other stuff out.  It practically oozes from your pores.  More than that, on the days you choose to be happy, the whole world sings with you.  People are infected by it, drawn in to your sweet smile and shining eyes.  Attracted like bugs to a light.  You shine, dear little diva, so brightly sometimes it's blinding.

We just spent three weeks together in California, and I must have complained too much about your behavior because your dad believes we are oil and water right now.  I'd prefer to see us as oil and vinegar …