Cross country and then some

So Joshua, Carly and I have journied cross country since my last post. My intention was to catch a flight - probably just me and the little mite - and come out to NM for my Grandmother's funeral/celebration of life. I priced out plane tickets, however, and deductive reasoning led Eric and I to decide I might as well drive out so that Joshua could come along too. The 3 of us set out on Tuesday and got here Thursday evening. I was, for the most part, relieved that the drive went so well. I never realized just how boring it is to be the passenger, it is much much easier to have to drive. Carly slept in the morning and afternoon of each day we drove, which was hugely helpful. Joshua put forth the required number of "I'm so bored!"s and was generally good natured otherwise.

A few trip highlights so far:

- Josh asking me to put the 'metal to the pedal' and get to Texas.
- Staying at a Super 8 outside OK City in the room next to a guy driving a truck emblazoned with the confederate flag on his back window. He also had a bumper sticker that said "My dream" beneath a picture of a capital building with the confederate flag flying over it. We left very fast in the morning. Maybe that's a lowlite?
- Josh counting down our arrival at my parent's house "1 hour! Oh I can't wait!" "20 minutes! We're so close!"
- Carly was severely set back in our potty training efforts when we encountered self flushing toilets at McDonalds...The self flusher flushed 3 times while she was sitting on it. It was hard not to laugh...
- Josh was unable to sleep in the OK City Super 8 because it was in Oklahoma...all day long he'd been asking me to get all the way through OK and into Texas or NM if I could. He promised he wouldn't complain and said if he or Carly fell asleep that it was okay to just keep driving. Finally in the Super 8 it all became clear why he was so desperate...tornadoes. The wind was really kicking up outside and despite the clear skies Josh was terrified that a tornado was going to sweep through at any moment and destroy us all. He also called Eric to verify that we were not in Tornado alley. Silly kid.
There were some other fun events that I can't bring to my mind right now.
We plan to stay here through the end of this week and then we'll be making a 2 day drive over to see Aunt Cha-Cha, Queen of the Legos, in LA. We will stay at her house for about a week before driving back to NM with Cha-Cha to stay for about 1 more week. On the 4th of July weekend there is going to be a family bbq to celebrate my grandmother's life and we'll make our way back to Michigan sometime in the following week (ish).

Comments

Heather said…
What a trip! Enjoy all the family time.
Anonymous said…
Eat some green chile and real Mexican food for me! :)

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!