Four for Friday, vol 12

Four songs that mean something to me:

1. Into the Ocean - Blue October. This comes off one of my favorite CDs, ever, and has been listened to so much I am surprised the disk isn't worn out. (Josh complained about listening to it when we traveled across the country, but I paid for my turn with the Campfire Song Song.) I know the video is a little weird, but listen to the words. To me this song is all about trying and trying and trying and sometimes getting swept under anyhow. It speaks very much to this time in my life when I feel sometimes like I'll never make it back to shore. "I want to swim away but don't know how, sometimes it feels just like I'm falling in the ocean. Let the waves up and take me down, let the hurricane set in motion, yeah, let the rain of what I feel right now come down, let the rain come down." While a few of Blue October's songs get a little weird, I have found that generally speaking they are amazing at painting a picture with words and I admire that very much. Unfortunately the only embedded video link I could find will open a new window/tab for you and play an ad before the song. Sorry.




2. Some Enchanted Evening from South Pacific - This song makes me think of my Grandmother. She loved musicals and had an extensive music collection. It is my understanding that there are stacks of records, actual vinyl records, waiting in New Mexico to be listened to. I am hoping to claim a few and bring them home, we even got a radio with a record player in it just so we could listen to them. I am also touched by the closing lines: "Once you have found him, never let him go. Once you have found her, never let her go." I imagine and hope that my grandparents are clinging to each other, still, in heaven.



3. My favorite CD currently is Adele 19. I posted about it a while back and I am still in love with it. This song is called First Love and I just swoon over the piano part, it sounds like a music box. The words really reach into me - "Please wear the face, The one where you smile, Because you Lighten up my heart, When I start to cry." The video is a live performance (if she ever comes here I am totally dragging Eric even though he says he doesn't like her stuff), so she does a bit of talking at the start...which I don't understand because her accent is so thick! Oh well, she's cute and her voice is so soulful. The noisy theater comes to a complete hush during the song. Just give it a chance.



4. A Baby Changes Everything - Faith Hill. I heard this song this morning on the radio station that is already playing Christmas music. I know, it's too early. But really, is it? When is it to early to celebrate the birth the baby that changed our world? The song is better than the video, I promise.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Adele 19 is blech!!
Guess who posted this!?!?!

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!