No Longer Alice

I've been blown about in the wind lately with so many choices on the table.  Do I get a job (that choice hasn't really been my own, no one will hire me!)?  Do I stay home and write?  Do I try my hand at Etsy?  Do I continue to freelance and hope for more assignments?  Do I send out a self directed, weekly article to publishers hoping to get picked up by a paper?  Do I go back to school?  Do I pursue opening a restaurant? There seem to be so many options, none immediate, all requiring varying degrees of personal risk.  Stretching myself to meet new obstacles is not exactly my strong point.  


Today I took a little more control.  For a while now I've been living with the fear: What if something happens to Eric?  I have no way to make a living.  I have no bankable skills that translate into immediate income.  We do have life insurance, enough to make us comfortable while I got things under control, but long term I am - quite simply - not prepared.  So a couple of months ago I applied for federal financial aid and received a favorable reply (say that 5 times fast), much better than I'd hoped for actually.  And today I filled out the application to return to UNM, where I started my college career going on 15 years ago.  I'm excited and afraid all at once. 

 

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - From Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Comments

Pam said…
You are going to do great! I am jealous that you are at a point in your life that you are able to go back. I guess I could but not as easily. On another note. Kady is obsessed with the pink cowgirl boots you gave us. She wears them practically everywhere.
Heather said…
good for you! seems like the perfect timing.
Tricia said…
Your writing is impressive. Have you written professionally before? From what you said, it sounds like you've had some experience in that area. Like I said, I think your writing is impressive - I enjoy reading your posts - they are clever and entertaining while heartfelt at the same time.

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming

Forty three

And I didn't prepare a speech!